Hi Year 2 Children, Parents and Carers,
As well as the daily Caremonkey email, we’ll also be updating the Year 2 page with the daily English, Maths and Foundation Subject activities.
On Friday 27th March in…
- English we’ll practise our reading comprehension skills by reading an information text and answering questions. English Y2 – Friday 27th March
- Maths we’ll practise finding fractions of amount. (Answers at the bottom of the last page of the attachment) Maths Y2 – Friday 27th March
- PSHE we’ll identify and celebrate our individual talents and abilities. PSHE Y2 – Friday 27th – Talents and Abilities
The attached files have more information on each of these activities.
In Year 2, some activities use the Challenge 1, 2 and 3 structure and the children can choose which Challenge to start on. Other activities use the ‘Must’, ‘Should’ and ‘Could’ structure in which all children complete the ‘Must’ task before progressing onto the ’Should’ task if appropriate and then finally the more difficult ‘Could’ task.
As always, also continue to practise…….
- Spellings (including your weekly spelling test!)
- Exception word spelling
Keep learning Year 2! 😁
Year 2 Team
On Thursday 26th March in…
- English we’ll practise correctly spelling exception words. English Y2 – Thursday 26th March
- Maths we’ll practise solving divisions. (Answers at the end of the attachment) Maths Y2 – Thursday 26th March
- Geography we’ll remind ourselves about the world’s continents and oceans. Geography Y2 – 25th March – Continents and Oceans
On Wednesday 25th March in…
- English we’ll practise including verbs in sentences. English Y2 – Wednesday 25th March
- Maths we’ll practise solving multiplications/times tables by drawing arrays to help. (Answers at the end of the attachment) Maths Y2 – Wednesday 25th March
- RE we’ll learn about important Jewish objects/artefacts. RE Y2 – Wednesday 25th – Jewish Family Objects
On Tuesday 24th March in…
- English we’ll learn about different word classes such as verbs, nouns, adverbs etc. English Y2 – Tuesday 24th March
- Maths we’ll practise solving subtractions using the blank number line method. (Answers at the end of the attachment). Maths Y2 – Tuesday 24th March
- Art we’ll create artwork in the style of Michael Sowa. Art Y2 – Tuesday 24th – Michael Sowa
On Monday 23rd March in…
- English we’ll learn 2 new Mrs Wordsmith words and practise including them in sentences. English – Monday 23rd March
- Maths we’ll practise solving additions using the blank number line method. (Answers at the end of the attachment). Maths – Monday 23rd March
- Science we’ll learn how camels are suited to their environments. Science Monday 23rd – Camels
Welcome to Year 2 – Term 4
Article 29: Your education should help you use and develop your talents and abilities.
As a proud ‘Rights Respecting School’ we learn about the United Nations Convention of the Rights of the Child (UNCRC). Our class charters set out what both adults and children must do to ensure children can enjoy their rights.
Year 2 Staff
- Teachers – Mr Rayner, Miss Rhodes & Mrs Nicolle
- Support teachers – Mrs Wallace & Mrs Claridge
- LSAs – Mrs Reis, Miss Edmonds, Mrs Hibbitt & Mrs Claridge
- PE Teacher – Mr Boon
Welcome back to Term 4! We hope you had an enjoyable half term break.
This term we are learning about animals and their habitats in our project called ‘Have You Seen Mr Attenborough?’. We will learn about different habitats, food chains and how to identify things that are alive, dead or have never been alive as well as using atlases to understand the different climates and weather patterns around the world.
Click the link to see the Year 2 Term 4 Curriculum Web which details the learning in the other subjects.
Also, this term we will be visiting Longleat Safari Park on Friday 27th March. This is always a fantastic trip and we hope the weather is on our side! Children will need to be in school by 8:15am as we aim to leave at 8:30am. We aim to return to school at approximately 5:30pm. Children need to wear school uniform on the trip and wear weather appropriate coats and footwear.
Further information about Year 2 can be found in the 2019:20 Year 2 Information Booklet.
Events taking place this term include:
- Parent’s Evening – Tuesday 25th & Wednesday 26th February
- World Book Day – Thursday 5th March
- Longleat Trip – Friday 27th March
Spellings – Throughout the year the children will take a weekly spelling test. Spellings will be sent home at the end of each term. Please encourage the children to practise these as often as possible.
Exception Words – Exception words are common words whose spelling may not follow the usual rules of phonics, therefore making them difficult to spell. By the end of Year 2 the children should be able to recall their correct spelling from memory. Please continue to support the children with learning the spelling of the words highlighted on the sheets given out at Parent’s Evening. An updated list will be given out at the next Parent’s Evening.
Times Tables – The children will take a weekly times tables test from Term 2 until the end of the year. For more information please see this letter which was sent home at the end of Term 1, TT Rock Stars Letter.
Homework – The children will also receive weekly homework (alternating between English and Maths). This is given out on Fridays and needs to be handed in by the following Wednesday. The work set will consolidate the children’s learning from that week in school. The children should be able to complete the homework independently although some support/supervision is useful. Information on how to support the children with any arithmetic based Maths homework can be found in the Year 2 Arithmetic Booklet which was sent home at the end of Term 1 and can be found here – Year 2 Arithmetic Methods Booklet.
Reading – Please try to read with your child regularly as it really does make a huge difference. Also, please remember to write in their reading record every time you read with them along with a short comment as books can only be changed if we know they have been read. Children should read their books at least twice before bringing them in to change and be able to answer questions about the book as reading comprehension is a huge focus in Year 2. Finally, in Year 2, children are allowed to change their own reading books, allowing them to choose books which really appeal to them.
Maths Games – The school subscribes to a set of excellent online maths games and each child has their login stuck into their reading record. Many of the games are also tablet friendly.
This year, our PE days will be on the following days.
- 2CR – Monday PM
- 2MR – Tuesday AM
- 2N – Thursday AM
As always, please remember to name all items of clothing including PE kits, school uniform and coats.