Welcome to the Reception classes at West Town Lane Academy.
Bumblebees -Mrs Lewis
Caterpillars –Miss Balmforth
From left to right: (Back row) Mrs Lees, Mrs Constable, Mrs Burt, Miss Palmer, Mrs Milkins
(Front row) Mrs Lewis, Miss Balmforth, Mr MacLeod, Mrs Galliford
A copy of our 2018/19 information booklet can be found here:
This section of the website will be here to give you termly overviews of what we will be covering in school and key information. Please check your child’s individual class doors/windows for regular updates and messages.
Wow! Well done to all of the children for completing their first term at school. The children have been brilliant and have settled very well into their classes.
This term our project is called ‘What do we celebrate?’ We will be celebrating lots of other religious festivals such as Eid, Diwali, Thanksgiving and Chinese New Year. We will be celebrating bonfire night with lots of exciting crafts and dance, and going on Autumn walks around the school. We’ll be making observations of the seasons and how they change as well as collecting leaves and conkers for counting. In maths we’ll be extending our counting into the teen numbers and matching these to quantities. We’ll be describing shapes and their properties and guessing which 3D shapes are wrapped up under the Christmas tree. We’ll be using the sounds we know to write simple words and sentences for purpose. We will be delivering the rest of phase 2 phonics, for more information please visit the ‘Letters and Sounds’ website at http://www.letters-and-sounds.com/.
Project webs can be found on classroom doors with more detail on curriculum coverage.
- Stay & Play begins in week 2. Please see classroom doors for specific days.
- All Reception classes have their P.E on a Monday, kits should be brought to school and left on children’s pegs for the duration of the term. The children need blue/black shorts and a white tshirt. Children do not need daps.
- Children need book bags in school every day as reading materials are sent home weekly.
- Children will need to bring a drink of water to school every day in a named bottle. They will be provided with one piece of school fruit and milk each day for our morning snack. Please provide an additional piece of fruit from home for our second snack.
- We will be accessing the outdoor area and playground straight away, so please provide a coat on chilly days or a hat on warmer days (wishful thinking!) If you wish to bring a pair of wellies/old trainers to leave in school for use in the outdoor area you may.
- The lunch options at WTLA are as follows:
Hot School Meal
School Packed Lunch (specified days-see office for info).
Home Packed Lunch
Remember! Your child is entitled to a free meal which includes the salad bar or school packed lunch option.
Are you managing Tapestry at home? We would love to hear your feedback. If you are finding Tapestry difficult to use please do not hesitate to contact a member of staff, or why not come along to our Tapestry support session on Tuesday November 14th.
The most important thing is that your children feel happy and confident coming to school, and that we get to know your children in order to make their first year at West Town Lane a fantastic adventure. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask a member of staff; there will be lots of us around! We would love for you to come and help in the classroom. Please see your class teacher for information.
14th December Reception Christmas production
17th December Reception Christmas production
20th December Christmas dinner and jumper day
21st December Last day of term
We are a rights respecting school.
Article 28: Every child has the right to an Education.