Welcome to the Reception classes at West Town Lane Academy.
Bumblebees -Mrs Lewis
Caterpillars –Miss Everson
This section of the website will be here to give you key information. Please check your child’s individual class doors/windows for regular updates and messages.
From left to right (back row) Miss Cox, Mrs Roe, Mrs Ashwin, Mrs Rayner, Mrs Perry
(front row) Mr MacLeod, Mrs Lewis, Mrs Galliford, Miss Everson
Welcome to Term 2!
Wow! Term 1 was certainly an adventure. Well done to all of the children for completing their first term at school. The children have settled very well into their classes.
Our project in term 2 is called ‘What do we celebrate?’ Have a look at our curriculum web here; What do we celebrate curriculum web. We will be kick starting the project by celebrating Autumn, bonfire night and halloween. We will use our leftover pumpkins to make some delicious soup, and learn about these late Autumn traditions. During the course of the project we will be thinking about special events in our lives; looking at Diwali, Eid, Christenings and Birthdays. We will round off our term 2 learning with our Christmas production. Dates can be found at the bottom of the page.
In phonics we will continue to learn phase 2 sounds. We will blend them together to read words and segment them to write words. We will practise camera words and begin to read short simple sentences. For more information on Phonics, please visit the ‘Letters and Sounds’ website at http://www.letters-and-sounds.com/.
In maths we will explore 2D shapes and repeating patterns. We will learn about comparing objects using the language ‘more’ and ‘less’ and looking at numbers on a number line. We will begin practical addition with objects.
- Please bring a bookbag to school every day. Reading materials will be sent home, please practise these little and often. Don’t forget to record a message in your child’s ‘reading record’ so we know how you’re getting on at home.
- Please bring a P.E kit to school at the beginning of each term. These can then be left at school for the duration of the term.
- We have two snacks a day in Reception. Children will need to bring a drink of water to school every day in a named bottle. They will be provided with one piece of school fruit and milk (until their 5th birthday) each day for our morning/afternoon snack. Please provide a piece of fruit for the children’s second snack.
- We access the outdoor classroom daily, please ensure children have suitable clothing for all weathers!
- The lunch options at WTLA are as follows:
-Hot School Meal
-School Packed Lunch (specified days-see menus for info).
-Home Packed Lunch
Remember! Your child is entitled to a free meal which includes the salad bar or school packed lunch option.
Please log on to Tapestry to see what your children have been learning at school. We also love to see what you have been up to at home-please add observations on when you have a spare 5 minutes!
The most important thing is that your children feel happy and confident coming to school. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask a member of staff; there will be lots of us around! We would love for you to come and help in the classroom. Please see your class teacher for information.
Monday 4th November-Back to School
Monday 11th November-Beginning of ‘Anti Bullying Week’
Friday 15th November-Children in Need
Wednesday 20th November-RRS day
Friday 6th December-Christmas Fair (Jumper swap)
Monday 9th December-Flu vaccinations
Tuesday 10th December-9.30 Christmas production (tickets required)
Wednesday 11th December-9.30 Christmas production (tickets required)
Tuesday 17th December-Christmas lunch & jumper day
Wednesday 18th December-Christmas parties
Wednesday 18th December-Term 2 ends today
We are a rights respecting school.
Article 28: Every child has the right to an Education.