Welcome to Reception!
Our Reception classes at West Town Lane Academy are:
Bumblebees – Mrs Lewis
Dragonflies – Mr MacLeod
Caterpillars – Miss Everson
This section of the website will be here to give you key information. Please check your child’s individual class doors/windows for regular updates and messages.
From left to right: Mrs Galliford, Miss Everson, Mrs Lewis, Mr MacLeod.
- Please bring a bookbag to school every day. Reading materials will be sent home including one phonics book and one colour banded book. We ask that you read a mixture of these at least three times before changing. Please see your class teacher for more information. Don’t forget to record reading at home in your child’s reading record.
- Please bring a P.E kit to school at the beginning of each term from Term 2. These will remain at school for the duration of the term. Please do not provide daps just yet as your children will outgrow them! They will not need daps until we begin PE lessons outside in the spring and summer terms.
- We have two snacks a day in Reception. Children will need to bring a drink of water to school every day in a named bottle. They will be provided with one piece of school fruit and milk (until their 5th birthday) each day for our morning snack. Please provide a piece of fruit for the children’s afternoon snack.
- We access the outdoor classroom daily, please ensure children have suitable clothing for all weathers!
- The lunch options at WTLA are as follows:
– Salad Bar
– Hot School Meal
– School Packed Lunch (specified days-see menus for info).
– Home Packed Lunch
Remember! Your child is entitled to a free meal which includes the salad bar or school packed lunch option.
Please log on to Tapestry to see what your children have been learning at school. We also love to see what you have been up to at home. Please add observations of your own to show us your child’s at home learning.
We would love for you to come and help in the classroom. Please see your class teacher for more details.
The most important thing to us is that your children feel happy and confident coming to school. If you have any questions or worries, please do not hesitate to speak to a member of staff.
We are a rights respecting school.
Article 28: Every child has the right to an Education.
Meet the TA’s!
Term 2-What do we celebrate?
Our project this term is ‘What do we Celebrate?’. We will begin our project by holding a birthday party for Kipper who’s first party was a BIG disaster! We will learn all about different celebrations around the world and in different religions including Diwali, Chinese New Year and Christmas! We will hold a Diwali day where we will create clay diva lamps, preform a Bollywood dance routine and get messy painting a firework splatter painting! We will make pumpkin soup and go on a dragon parade! We will solve the mystery of a lost penguin through the story of ‘Lost and Found’, as well as, learn all about the season of Winter. We will learn, retell and innovate the story of ‘Dear Santa’ and learn about the true spirt of Christmas. We will learn a variety of new Christmas Nativity songs and preform them at our Christmas show!
In phonics we will be learning new sounds and Camera Words. We will begin to take books home to read. We will be talking about story sequences and exploring characters, settings and plots. We will be reading a variety of stories including ‘Kipper’s Birthday’, ‘Rama and Sita’ and ‘Dear Santa’. We will be writing simple words and captions. For more information, please visit the ‘Letters and Sounds’ website at http://www.letters-and-sounds.com/.
In mathematics we will be counting to 20 and we will begin to record numerals. We will be naming and describing the properties of 2D and 3D shapes, as well as, discuss pattern when creating Rangoli patterns. We will be using the language of ‘more’ and ‘less’ to compare two sets of objects. We will be finding one more and one less practically, and on a number line. We will begin addition with objects by finding the total.
Please find our project map below!
Monday 2nd November: T2 begins.
Thursday 17th December: End of Term 2.