Welcome to the Reception classes at West Town Lane Academy.
Bumblebees -Mrs Lewis
Caterpillars –Miss Patterson
From left to right: (Back row) Mrs Lees, Mrs Constable, Mrs Burt, Miss Palmer, Mrs Milkins
(Front row) Mrs Lewis, Miss Balmforth, Mr MacLeod, Mrs Galliford
A copy of our 2018/19 information booklet can be found here:
This section of the website will be here to give you termly overviews of what we will be covering in school and key information. Please check your child’s individual class doors/windows for regular updates and messages.
Welcome back, ready for the last term of the year.
Our new project is called What’ Shall I Pack? This project takes us on a journey through familiar places and far off countries. We will study Bristol and our local area, talking about what makes our city special and our favourite places to visit. We’ll then hop on a double decker and start to learn about our capital city and the Royal family. After this we’ll move on to special places in our lives and the holidays we’ve been on. We’ll share pictures of our camping trips and postcards from our holidays to Spain. Please see our term 6 project map here: What shall we pack project map
Alongside all of this we will be celebrating Fathers Day, taking part in sports day, class assemblies and lots of exciting transition events ready for our move to year 1.
Maths: We will be trying to tackle word problems using our knowledge of addition and subtraction. We will explore capacity, distance and buy and sell icecreams in our beach shops. We’ll practise estimating and counting to check, we’ll group objects and attempt to count in 2s.
Reading and Writing: We will continue to teach and revise phonics this term. Please try to practise reading with your child at least 3 times per week and remember to record in your child’s Reading Record as often as you can. Here are some examples of the kinds of questions you could ask your child during or at the end of a story Reading together. In writing we will be focusing on story writing and including ‘Once upon a time’. We’ll be using ‘because’ to extend our sentences and adding in exciting adjectives. Talk to your children about finger spaces and full stops whenever you are looking at text or doing writing at home.
We’re learning lots of new vocabulary so don’t forget to ask you child about Mrs Wordsmith’s ‘Word of the Day’. Try asking your children to say the words in a sentence.
For more information on Phonics please visit the ‘Letters and Sounds’ website at http://www.letters-and-sounds.com/. For an overview of the camera words and sounds we teach in Reception, please see Reception phonics.
- Stay & Play begins in week 2. Please see classroom doors for specific days. Look out for info on classroom doors.
- All Reception classes have their P.E on a Monday, kits should be brought to school and left on children’s pegs for the duration of the term. The children need blue/black shorts and a white tshirt. Children now need daps/trainers as P.E will take place outside as soon as the weather warms up.
- Children need book bags in school every day as reading materials are sent home weekly. We ask that children read with an adult 3x a week and this is recorded in their diaries and celebrated at school.
- Children will need to bring a drink of water to school every day in a named bottle. They will be provided with one piece of school fruit and milk each day for our morning snack. Please provide an additional piece of fruit from home for our second snack.
- We will be accessing the outdoor area and playground every day, so please provide a coat on chilly days or a hat on warmer days (wishful thinking!) If you wish to bring a pair of wellies/old trainers to leave in school for use in the outdoor area you may.
- The lunch options at WTLA are as follows:
Hot School Meal
School Packed Lunch (specified days-see office for info).
Home Packed Lunch
Remember! Your child is entitled to a free meal which includes the salad bar or school packed lunch option.
Are you managing Tapestry at home? We would love to hear your feedback. If you are finding Tapestry difficult to use please do not hesitate to contact a member of staff..
The most important thing is that your children feel happy and confident coming to school. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask a member of staff; there will be lots of us around! We would love for you to come and help in the classroom. Please see your class teacher for information.
Mon 17th June -Reception NEW PARENTS meeting 5.30-6.30
Mon 24th June-Nursery NEW PARENTS meeting 4-5
Weds 25th June-EYFS Sports day & BBQ lunch
Fr 28th June-Summer Fair
Mon 1st July NSPCC workshops across the school
Tues 9th July-Meet your new teacher day
Weds 10th July-Bumblebees class assembly
Thurs 11th July-Dragonflies class assembly
Fri 12th July-Caterpillars class assembly
Mon 22nd July-Last day of term
We are a rights respecting school.
Article 28: Every child has the right to an Education.