Welcome to the Reception classes at West Town Lane Academy.
Bumblebees -Mrs Lewis
Caterpillars –Miss Balmforth
From left to right: (Back row) Mrs Lees, Mrs Constable, Mrs Burt, Miss Palmer, Mrs Milkins
(Front row) Mrs Lewis, Miss Balmforth, Mr MacLeod, Mrs Galliford
A copy of our 2018/19 information booklet can be found here:
This section of the website will be here to give you termly overviews of what we will be covering in school and key information. Please check your child’s individual class doors/windows for regular updates and messages.
Happy New Year!
Term 3 sees some changes to our team, with Mrs Lester joining Caterpillars class at the end of the week.
Our new project is called ’Who is the King of the Castle?’ This will involve looking at Castles, Kings, Queens, dragons and much, much more! We will be kick starting with treasure hunts around the school where the children will find clues to help them guess our project for this term. The children are invited to bring a fairy tale story of their choice into school during week 2. Or perhaps you have some non fiction books at home? We’d love to see the children sharing information books about Kings and Queens with us.
In week 3 we will take a magical journey through lots of different traditional tales, stopping to learn new songs, build castles, make stained glass windows and celebrate Chinese New Year along the way. Look out for dates on your child’s classroom door towards the end of term, as you will be invited to a medieval banquet (costumes optional but encouraged!) to celebrate the end of the project.
Maths: This term we will spend time cementing our practical addition and subtraction skills and will work on recording up to 20. It is crucial at this stage of the year that the children practise recognising, counting and ordering with numbers up to 20 as often as possible at home. We will be creating repeating patterns for crowns and building castles using 2D and 3D shapes.
Reading and Writing: We will begin Phase 3 of the ‘Letters and Sounds’ Phonics scheme so look out for new sounds and camera words coming your way soon! Please try to practise reading with your child little and often and remember to record in your child’s Reading Record as often as you can. In writing we will be focusing on sentence structure, beginning to write captions and sentences that include finger spaces and full stops, as well as all of the new sounds and words we have learnt.
We’ll be using the sounds we know to write simple words and sentences for purpose. We will be delivering the rest of phase 2 phonics, for more information please visit the ‘Letters and Sounds’ website at http://www.letters-and-sounds.com/.
Project webs can be found on classroom doors with more detail on curriculum coverage.
- Stay & Play begins in week 2. Please see classroom doors for specific days.
- All Reception classes have their P.E on a Monday, kits should be brought to school and left on children’s pegs for the duration of the term. The children need blue/black shorts and a white tshirt. Children do not need daps.
- Children need book bags in school every day as reading materials are sent home weekly. We ask that children read with an adult 3x a week and this is recorded in their diaries and celebrated at school.
- Children will need to bring a drink of water to school every day in a named bottle. They will be provided with one piece of school fruit and milk each day for our morning snack. Please provide an additional piece of fruit from home for our second snack.
- We will be accessing the outdoor area and playground straight away, so please provide a coat on chilly days or a hat on warmer days (wishful thinking!) If you wish to bring a pair of wellies/old trainers to leave in school for use in the outdoor area you may.
- The lunch options at WTLA are as follows:
Hot School Meal
School Packed Lunch (specified days-see office for info).
Home Packed Lunch
Remember! Your child is entitled to a free meal which includes the salad bar or school packed lunch option.
Are you managing Tapestry at home? We would love to hear your feedback. If you are finding Tapestry difficult to use please do not hesitate to contact a member of staff..
The most important thing is that your children feel happy and confident coming to school. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask a member of staff; there will be lots of us around! We would love for you to come and help in the classroom. Please see your class teacher for information.
14th & 21st January Dental talks
16th January Whole school production of The Selfish Giant
25th January Whole school Maths Adventure day
12th & 13th February Parents Evening
Banquet with parents TBC
We are a rights respecting school.
Article 28: Every child has the right to an Education.