Welcome to Reception!
Our Reception classes at West Town Lane Academy are:
Bumblebees- Mrs Lewis/ Miss Reid
Dragonflies – Mr MacLeod
Caterpillars – Miss Everson
PPA- Mrs Galliford (in each class one morning a week and take pupil premium children for focus sessions)
This section of the website will be here to give you key information. Please check your child’s individual class doors/windows for regular updates and messages.
From left to right: Mrs Galliford, Miss Everson, Mrs Lewis, Mr MacLeod.
- Please bring a bookbag to school every day. Reading materials will be sent home including one phonics book and one colour banded book. We ask that you read a mixture of these at least three times before changing. Please see your class teacher for more information. Don’t forget to record reading at home in your child’s reading record.
- Please bring a P.E kit to school at the beginning of each term from Term 2. These will remain at school for the duration of the term. Please do not provide daps just yet as your children will outgrow them! They will not need daps until we begin PE lessons outside in the spring and summer terms.
- We have two snacks a day in Reception. Children will need to bring a drink of water to school every day in a named bottle. They will be provided with one piece of school fruit and milk (until their 5th birthday) each day for our morning snack. Please provide a piece of fruit for the children’s afternoon snack.
- We access the outdoor classroom daily, please ensure children have suitable clothing for all weathers!
- The lunch options at WTLA are as follows:
– Salad Bar
– Hot School Meal
– School Packed Lunch (specified days-see menus for info).
– Home Packed Lunch
Remember! Your child is entitled to a free meal which includes the salad bar or school packed lunch option.
Please log on to Tapestry to see what your children have been learning at school. We also love to see what you have been up to at home. Please add observations of your own to show us your child’s at home learning.
We would love for you to come and help in the classroom. Please see your class teacher for more details.
The most important thing to us is that your children feel happy and confident coming to school. If you have any questions or worries, please do not hesitate to speak to a member of staff.
We are a rights respecting school.
Article 28: Every child has the right to an Education.
Meet the TA’s!
Term 6 – How Do Things Change Over Time?
Our project in Term 6 is How do things Change over Time?’. We will begin our project by adventuring into the past and exploring the time of the dinosaurs. We will learn the different names of many dinosaurs, as well as, learn a variety of facts about all types of dinosaurs. We will learn all about herbivores, carnivores or omnivores. We will also look back to the Paleolithic Era of the Caveman and even find out what life was like in the very distant past. We will reflect on our past, present and look to our future by thinking about how we have grown and look more deeply into our emotions and how we feel about moving on. We will be learning all about our changing world and our responsibility of taking care of our environment. We will be learning all about the story of ‘Dave’s Cave’, ‘Dinosaurs and All That Rubbish’, ‘Somebody Swallowed Stanley’ and ‘Billy’s Bucket’. We will be retelling and innovating a variety of poems from the story ‘Bumpus Jumpus Dinosaur Rumpus!’ We will become artists through creative opportunities and learning to draw free hand. We will paint, collage, build and invent by creating erupting volcanoes and clay fossils!
In phonics we will be confident to use and apply Phase 2 and Phase 3 phonics in our reading and writing. This term we introduce phase 4 blends and help the children develop their fluency when reading. We will be reading and spelling Camera Words correctly from all of the Phases, including Phase 4. We will confidently be able to write descriptive sentences that include capital letters, finger spaces and punctuation. We will write at length using adjectives, conjunctions and narrative vocabulary when writing stories of our own. We will be retelling our own stories and poems, as well as, practising intonation when reciting poems and when reading stories. For more information, please visit the ‘Letters and Sounds’ website at http://www.letters-and-sounds.com/.
In mathematics we will be learning all about the importance of money and how to identify and order a variety of coins, as well as, how to add coins together to make an amount. We will also be learning about the concept of time and begin to tell o’clock and half past times. We will be measuring capacity where we will compare the volume of different containers. We will be consolidating and applying our knowledge of numbers to 10 and beyond. In addition and subtraction, we will reflect on the variety of strategies we have learnt to solve various equations including using a number line, applying number bonds and putting the biggest number in our heads and using our fingers to count on. We shall be looking at patterns within numbers and focusing on doubling, halving, odds/evens and counting in 2’s, 5’s, 10’s.
Please find our project map & medium term plan below!
First day of the term: 7th June 2021
Sports day: TBC
Celebration Assembly: TBC
End of Term 4. 21st June 2021