Welcome to Reception!
Our Reception classes at West Town Lane Academy are:
Bumblebees- Mrs Lewis/ Miss Reid
Dragonflies – Mr MacLeod
Caterpillars – Miss Everson
PPA- Mrs Galliford (in each class one morning a week and take pupil premium children for focus sessions)
This section of the website will be here to give you key information. Please check your child’s individual class doors/windows for regular updates and messages.
- Please bring a bookbag to school every day. Reading materials will be sent home including one phonics book and one colour banded book. We ask that you read a mixture of these at least three times before changing. Please see your class teacher for more information. Don’t forget to record reading at home in your child’s reading record.
- Please bring a P.E kit to school at the beginning of each term from Term 2. These will remain at school for the duration of the term. Please do not provide daps just yet as your children will outgrow them! They will not need daps until we begin PE lessons outside in the spring and summer terms.
- We have two snacks a day in Reception. Children will need to bring a drink of water to school every day in a named bottle. They will be provided with one piece of school fruit and milk (until their 5th birthday) each day for our morning snack. Please provide a piece of fruit/ Vegetable for the children’s afternoon snack.
- We access the outdoor classroom daily, please ensure children have suitable clothing for all weathers! We encourage you to leave a pair of wellies at school for any spontaneous puddle walks/ forest school sessions
- The lunch options at WTLA are as follows:
– Salad Bar
– Hot School Meal
– School Packed Lunch (specified days-see menus for info).
– Home Packed Lunch
Remember! Your child is entitled to a free meal which includes the salad bar or school packed lunch option.
Please log on to Tapestry to see what your children have been learning at school. We also love to see what you have been up to at home. Please add observations of your own to show us your child’s at home learning.
We would love for you to come and help in the classroom. Please see your class teacher for more details.
The most important thing to us is that your children feel happy and confident coming to school. If you have any questions or worries, please do not hesitate to speak to a member of staff.
We are a rights respecting school.
Article 28: Every child has the right to an Education.
Video tours of the classrooms
Please find our project map & medium term plan below!
Term 1: What Makes Me Marvellous?
Our project this term is ‘What Makes Me Marvellous?’.
We will encourage the children to become independent learners and explorers as they make new friends and explore their new school. We will begin our project by waltzing into the story of ‘Giraffes Can’t Dance’ a story all about a Giraffe named Gerald who finds his own tune (and confidence) to boogie at the Jungle Dance. We will learn all about what makes us unique and share our own special talents! We will solve a mystery with Detective Dog Nell using our five senses and know what foods we like and dislike! We will discuss our attributes and features when creating self-portraits, as well as, describe our families. We will learn to retell the classic story of ‘Goldilocks and the Three Bears’. We will complete our project with a Teddy Bears Picnic in the last week of term where we will bring in our favourite teddy bear from home!
In phonics we will be beginning with Phase one sound games and move quikly into Phase 2. We begin Phase 2 introducing our first set of sounds and Camera Words. We will be focussing on hearing sounds, mark making with a variety of materials and practising the letter formation of the sounds in our name. We will be learning about rhyme and join in with repeated refrains in stories. We will listen for the initial sounds in words and begin to segment and blend words. For more information, please visit the ‘Letters and Sounds’ website at http://www.letters-and-sounds.com/.
In mathematics we will begin to recognise numbers to 5 and move onto numbers to 10. We encourage the children to start matching numerals to quantities, and ensuring they have secure understanding of each number. We will sing a variety of number songs and we will be counting using 1:1 correspondence by finding ways to count accurately. We will be thinking about more and less, Subitising and number bonds. We will begin to recognise and describe 2D and 3D shapes, as well as, think about prepositions, shape, weight and size.
First day of the term: 2nd September
Inset day 2nd/ 3rd September
First day for children: 6th September
Week 1: part time hours
Week 2: Part time hours
Week 3: In school until 12.45 – Eating lunch at school
Week 4: Full day’s at school