Welcome to Reception!
Our Reception classes at West Town Lane Academy are:
Bumblebees – Mrs Lewis
Dragonflies – Mr MacLeod
Caterpillars – Miss Everson
This section of the website will be here to give you key information. Please check your child’s individual class doors/windows for regular updates and messages.
From left to right: Mrs Galliford, Miss Everson, Mrs Lewis, Mr MacLeod.
- Please bring a bookbag to school every day. Reading materials will be sent home including one phonics book and one colour banded book. We ask that you read a mixture of these at least three times before changing. Please see your class teacher for more information. Don’t forget to record reading at home in your child’s reading record.
- Please bring a P.E kit to school at the beginning of each term from Term 2. These will remain at school for the duration of the term. Please do not provide daps just yet as your children will outgrow them! They will not need daps until we begin PE lessons outside in the spring and summer terms.
- We have two snacks a day in Reception. Children will need to bring a drink of water to school every day in a named bottle. They will be provided with one piece of school fruit and milk (until their 5th birthday) each day for our morning snack. Please provide a piece of fruit for the children’s afternoon snack.
- We access the outdoor classroom daily, please ensure children have suitable clothing for all weathers!
- The lunch options at WTLA are as follows:
– Salad Bar
– Hot School Meal
– School Packed Lunch (specified days-see menus for info).
– Home Packed Lunch
Remember! Your child is entitled to a free meal which includes the salad bar or school packed lunch option.
Please log on to Tapestry to see what your children have been learning at school. We also love to see what you have been up to at home. Please add observations of your own to show us your child’s at home learning.
We would love for you to come and help in the classroom. Please see your class teacher for more details.
The most important thing to us is that your children feel happy and confident coming to school. If you have any questions or worries, please do not hesitate to speak to a member of staff.
We are a rights respecting school.
Article 28: Every child has the right to an Education.
Meet the TA’s!
Term 2-Who’s the Meanest Story Villian?
Our project this term is ‘Who’s the Meanest Story Villian?’. We will begin our project by diving into the story of ‘Zog’ where we will learn about a determined dragon who wants to earn a golden star and reflect on times when we have been proud of ourselves. We will be exploring various characters such as kings, queens, wizards and jesters through the story of ‘The Little Knight’, as well as, consider alternative versions of traditional tales. Is the giant really the bad guy? Was Little Red Riding Hood rotten? Did the Big Bad Wolf mean to blow the pigs houses down? We will complete our project with a Fairy-tale Celebration in the last week of term.
In phonics we will be beginning Phase 3 and introducing digraphs and trigraphs. We will be applying the use of these new sounds in our reading and writing. We will concentrate on sentence writing, reading our writing back and the correct spelling of Camera Words. We will begin to consider and apply capital letters, finger spaces and full stops. For more information, please visit the ‘Letters and Sounds’ website at http://www.letters-and-sounds.com/.
In mathematics we will be recapping addition and introducing subtraction with a focus on one less. We will also be applying our knowledge of subtraction to solve word problems. We will be creating repeating patterns and learning all about 3D shapes and their properties. Here is the 3D shape song that you can access at home https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guNdJ5MtX1A&safe=active
Please find our project map below!
Monday 4th January: T3 begins.
Friday 12th February: End of Term 3.