From left to right: (Back row) Miss Thompson, Mrs Hogg, Mrs Lees and Mrs Constable
(Front row) Miss Chandler, Miss Balmforth, Miss Staines and Mrs Galliford
Welcome to the Reception classes at West Town Lane.
Bumblebees -Miss Chandler
Caterpillars –Miss Balmforth
This section of the website will be here to give you termly overviews of what we will be covering in school and key information. Please check your child’s individual class doors/windows for regular updates and messages.
Article 28: Every child has the right to an Education.
Welcome to Term 1!
We are thoroughly looking forward to having your little ones starting school with us. Here is an overview of the induction period at WTLA, as outlined in your packs. At the end of week 2 your child will receive a letter informing you of their child’s class teacher for the year.
**Where possible, please wait by the playground Early Years gates (to help ease congestion outside of the Year 1 classrooms) ready for them to be unlocked at 8.55.**
|Older children attend 8.55-12.00||Younger children attend 1-3.15|
|Younger children attend 8.55-12.00||Older children attend 1-3.15|
All children attend 8.55-1.00
(stay for lunch)
|All children in full time.||All children in full time.|
This term our project is called ‘Who Am I?’ We will be learning about ourselves and all of the new friends we have made and grown ups we’ve met. We will be thinking about our eye colour, our likes, our favourite things, and our similarities and differences. We will be getting to know our new classrooms and outside area and learning about how to stay safe and happy at school. We’ll have lots of opportunities for singing, music making and role playing along the way. We will also spend lots of time practising writing our own names, exploring what we know about numbers, and covering Phase1 of the ‘Letters and Sounds’ Phonic programme. After half term we will start to learn the sounds of the alphabet in the order they appear in Phase 2. For more information on Phonics, please visit the ‘Letters and Sounds’ website at http://www.letters-and-sounds.com/.
- Your child does not need to bring a bookbag into school until they are in full time (week 5) but they may do so earlier on if they wish.
- When your child is in full time, we will have two snacks a day. Children will need to bring a drink of water to school every day in a named bottle. They will be provided with one piece of school fruit and milk each day for our morning/afternoon snack. When your child is in full time (week 4) you will need to provide an additional piece of fruit from home for our second snack.
- When staying for lunch, the lunch options at WTLA are as follows:
Hot School Meal
School Packed Lunch (specified days-see office for info).
Home Packed Lunch
Remember! Your child is entitled to a free meal which includes the salad bar or school packed lunch option.
- Look out for signs on your child’s class door towards the end of September for information on your allocated P.E day. E kits do not need to be brought into school before then.
- We will be accessing the outdoor area and playground straight away, so please provide a coat on chilly days or a hat on warmer days. (Wishful thinking!)
The most important thing during this term is that your children feel happy and confident coming to school, and that we get to know your children in order to make their first year at West Town Lane a fantastic adventure. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask a member of staff; there will be lots of us around! Don’t forget there will be opportunity in week 3 to have a consultation appointment to share any information and get to know your child’s class Teacher a little better.
Tuesday 5th Sept-Start School
Monday 25th Sept-All EYFS children begin full time
Tuesday 3rd October-Learning in Reception meeting for ALL Reception parents
Tuesday 10th October-Parents evening
Wednesday 11th October-Parents evening
w/b Monday 16th October-Teddy Bear Picnic celebration
Thursday 19h Oct-INSET
Friday 20th Oct-INSET
If you are interested in helping out in your child’s class see your class teacher and ensure you have a full DBS check handed in to the office.